Skip to main content

Debian at AOSS 8 Bali

Last week I had a chance to participate at the 8th Asia Open Source Software Symposium in Bali. I am just a participant in that event.

Me and Niibe Yutaka

In this event I met with Niibe Yutaka, a Debian developer from Japan. (He's on the left in the picture.) Well, since I am a Debian user, we had a chat. A day earlier, I was wearing Debian T-shirt and somebody thought that I am from Debian. Whoa.

On a different note, he said that he contributed to the japanese (version? extension?) of emacs as his "night job." Ha ha ha. I told him that I am a "vi" user. Ha ha ha. We are from different "editor religion."

[For those who are not familiar with the joke, here's a little brief story. Most old UNIX users had two camps of editor: vi and emacs. We joke to each other. Nowadays, there are better[?] editors, but I still use vi. Even on my MS Windows computer, I use vi (or vim, to be exact). It's just a habbit.]

Niibe asked me why there's no Debian developer in Indonesia. Good question. I don't know. For me, I don't even have a chance to tinker around with low level software or operating system.

Last time I played with operating system was GNU/Hurd. It was interesting at that time since it was so limited (the biggest partition size you could get is 2 GB!), but now GNU/Hurd is much better. There's still not many people are interested in it though. I guess it's because Linux is more widely available. To me, Linux is already mature. It's not fun anymore :) ha ha ha. But GNU/Hurd is more fun since you can experiment with things (and it will crash)... ha ha ha. It's fun. It's just a matter of time that GNU/Hurd is becoming more popular.

The symposium was mostly high level discussion. So, I just sat there and listened to various speakers from different countries. Sorry no summary. It should be on a web site, somewhere...

Comments

Arief said…
Waw... How come I don't know that there's a Debian event in Indonesia. Hiks...

Anyway, I've long been thinking to be a DD also, but really haven't got a time to spare. It's still on the "this year" TODO list.. :-(

On GNU/Hurd, last time I checked, they're not making a nice progress. The Hurd-Mach versions seems to be getting better, though. But the Hurd/L4 is suspended and the developers will re-think about the architecture.
Anonymous said…
Long live debian...!!!
Budi Rahardjo said…
Arief, it was not a Debian event per se. It was an open source event. We (debian users) were just happened to be there.
Anonymous said…
Dear Mr. Rahardjo,

I have come across your site, The Ultimate Indonesian Webpage and found someof the links quite useful. I was hoping you could help me a bit further. I am looking for a list of schools and universities in Indonesia and am not able to find this information on the Internet. Would you be able to tell me where I can find this information?
Thank you very much. You can email me at nosheenladha@gmail.com.

Thank you!
Nosheen

Popular posts from this blog

Himbauan Kepada Hacker & Cracker Indonesia & Malaysia

Kepada Hacker & Cracker Indonesia & Malaysia, Saya mengharapkan anda tidak melakukan penyerangan atau/dan pengrusakan situs-situs Indonesia dan Malaysia. Saya mengerti bahwa akhir-akhir ini beberapa masalah di dunia nyata membuat kita kesal dan marah. Namun kekesalan tersebut sebaiknya tidak dilimpahkan ke dunia maya (cyberspace). Semestinya sebelum melakukan aksi yang berdampak negatif, kita bisa melakukan langkah-langkah positif seperti melakukan dialog (melalui email, mailing list, bulletin board, blog, dan media elektronik lainnya). Kita harus ingat bahwa kita hidup bertetangga dan bersaudara. Yang namanya hidup bertetangga pasti mengalami perbedaan pendapat. Mari kita belajar bertetangga dengan baik. Saya berharap agar kita yang hidup di dunia maya mencontohkan bagaimana kita menyelesaikan permasalahan dengan kepala dingin dan hati yang lapang, sehingga para pemimpin kita di dunia nyata dapat mencontoh penyelesaian damai. Mudah-mudahan mereka dapat lebih arif dan bijaksana

More bad news with Malaysia - Indonesia

I've got more emails and news about bad news between Indonesia and Malaysia. To be exact, there was a news about RELA (not sure what that is) that goes out after Indonesians in Malaysia. There were incidents where they hit Indonesians, rob, and do horrible things. I cannot even write this is my blog. I am so sad and frustrated. What's going on with Malaysia (and Malaysians)? What did we - Indonesian(s) - do to deserve this? I thought there should be less boundary between Indonesia and Malaysia. But ... What's going on there, bro & sis? You know, more Indonesians now feel that they are offended by Malaysians. I can tell you that this bad feeling is increasing. This is a bad publicity towards Malaysia. People are now creating various calling names, such as "Malingsia" (it's a short of "maling" [thief] "siah" [you, Sundanese]), and worse.

Say NO to APJII!

Prolog At the end of 1997, I went back to Indonesia from my studies and work in Canada. The .ID domain management in Indonesia at that time was in a confusing state. Nobody wanted to manage it. Universitas Indonesia (UI) - the original maintainer - was in a fight with APJII (the Association of Indonesian ISP). In the end, IANA gave me a mandate to manage the .ID domain. Since then, I manage the .ID domain with open management. There are problems, but mostly minors. Until recently, when APJII (again) is trying to take over the .ID domain management from my team. Here's a short info to give you a head start. Short summary APJII (the association of ISP in Indonesia) is trying to takeover the .ID domain management in Indonesia. They have tried and will try everything to take over. Long description I've been managing the .ID domain since the end of 1997. At that time, nobody wanted to run the domain management. First of all, a brief description of how we run things. To run the .ID d