Thursday, July 19, 2007

On being an Indonesian

What does it mean (take?) to be an Indonesian?
Do I have to speak in Bahasa Indonesia to be an Indonesian?
Do I have to act like other Indonesians?
Tell me. Please.

(Is nationalism that important? I don't know.)

A few years ago, when I was still living in Canada, I had a similar conversation with a friend of mine, but at that time we were discussing "being a Canadian." I think it was tougher because the similarities between Canadians and Americans. (I know that Canadians don't like being associated with Americans. Ha ha ha)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You think too much dude. Why don't you spend the total time you spent on writing your blurbs useless blog posts lately, on doing some social work or whatever other things that actually help people.

budi said...

Well, you might want to read this http://jsop.net/?page_id=42

probodj said...

Being an Indonesian means caring about Indonesia.

A lot of Indonesian (by citizenship) actually do not care about Indonesia.

The same can be said about any nationality.

budi said...

Then, what should we do probodj? Do we care? Or, ...just, whatever ...