Skip to main content

Flock slow

I have just downloaded and installed Flock 0.9.1.0. I expected that it should be a lighter version of Firefox.

It does start faster (at least that's how I feel), but then when I open many sites (blogs) in several tabs, I can feel it's crawling. I don't know what's happening. It doesn't do that with Firefox. So, I am a little dissapointed with Flock.

How's your experience?

Comments

Imansyah said…
AFAIK, flock is wy much heavier indeed. And the strength isn't the performance, rather its capability to deal with social activities on the web.
Akhmad Fathonih said…
There has been patches which tries to reduce memory usage by reworking the image storage mechanism as mentioned here: http://primates.ximian.com/~federico/news-2007-09.html#07

It just too bad that we have to use git to try it. Not that git is bad but bandwidth is. I don't know how much MiB history we have to pull out with it.

I myself have tried via CVS way, apply the patch with a little fix afterward. It compiles, however, I don't know wether it does really help or not. The numbers on Federico's page spoke it's true but I have no other tool at the moment other than my "reliable" feeling ;)

I think you should take a shot. Just assign it to one of your student if you can't found the time needed to do it yourself ;)

Gitu aja kok repot :D
Anonymous said…
It does crawl after a while. I read somewhere about memory leak problem, but I'm not sure how it can happen. Perhaps your concerns should be voiced to them as well.

I use it for "social activities" purposes, e.g. blog directly to my wordpress, interact directly with flickr, mash google map, etc.

Popular posts from this blog

Himbauan Kepada Hacker & Cracker Indonesia & Malaysia

Kepada Hacker & Cracker Indonesia & Malaysia, Saya mengharapkan anda tidak melakukan penyerangan atau/dan pengrusakan situs-situs Indonesia dan Malaysia. Saya mengerti bahwa akhir-akhir ini beberapa masalah di dunia nyata membuat kita kesal dan marah. Namun kekesalan tersebut sebaiknya tidak dilimpahkan ke dunia maya (cyberspace). Semestinya sebelum melakukan aksi yang berdampak negatif, kita bisa melakukan langkah-langkah positif seperti melakukan dialog (melalui email, mailing list, bulletin board, blog, dan media elektronik lainnya). Kita harus ingat bahwa kita hidup bertetangga dan bersaudara. Yang namanya hidup bertetangga pasti mengalami perbedaan pendapat. Mari kita belajar bertetangga dengan baik. Saya berharap agar kita yang hidup di dunia maya mencontohkan bagaimana kita menyelesaikan permasalahan dengan kepala dingin dan hati yang lapang, sehingga para pemimpin kita di dunia nyata dapat mencontoh penyelesaian damai. Mudah-mudahan mereka dapat lebih arif dan bijaksana...

Say NO to APJII!

Prolog At the end of 1997, I went back to Indonesia from my studies and work in Canada. The .ID domain management in Indonesia at that time was in a confusing state. Nobody wanted to manage it. Universitas Indonesia (UI) - the original maintainer - was in a fight with APJII (the Association of Indonesian ISP). In the end, IANA gave me a mandate to manage the .ID domain. Since then, I manage the .ID domain with open management. There are problems, but mostly minors. Until recently, when APJII (again) is trying to take over the .ID domain management from my team. Here's a short info to give you a head start. Short summary APJII (the association of ISP in Indonesia) is trying to takeover the .ID domain management in Indonesia. They have tried and will try everything to take over. Long description I've been managing the .ID domain since the end of 1997. At that time, nobody wanted to run the domain management. First of all, a brief description of how we run things. To run the .ID d...
Kualitas lulusan Perguruan Tinggi Indonesia menyedihkan? Saya baru saja selesai melakukan interview untuk sebuah perusahaan. Ada lebih dari 130 orang yang kami interview. Saya sendiri menginterview setengahnya dari itu. (Kami bagi menjadi dua tim.) Yang diinterview kebanyakan adalah yang baru lulus ( fresh graduate ) dari perguruan tinggi (ada yang S1 dan D3) yang terkait dengan komputer (ilmu komputer, teknik elektro, fisika, matematika). Satu hal yang ternyata muncul dan berulang adalah mahasiswa sekarang lebih banyak yang pasif. Artinya mereka hanya pergi kuliah dan belajar dari apa yang diberikan di kelas saja ( which is not much! ). Mereka kurang motivasi untuk mencari hal-hal lain di luar ruang kuliah, seperti misalnya membaca majalah (banyak majalah komputer), eksperimen (mencoba install Linux atau Windows, merakit komputer, memasang jaringan). Alasan yang mereka kemukakan macam-macam. Tidak ada fasilitas lab komputer merupakan salah satu alasan yang dipakai mahasiswa ...