Skip to main content

Computer to FM transmitter

I have quite a number of audio collections in tapes, CDs, LPs, DVDs. I am starting to convert my tapes to MP3s. I rip my CDs into MP3s. I can then hide my tapes and CDs in a cupboard. They are still accessible though. My audio collection is now sitting on my harddrive.

Now, if I want to listen to music I have to sit in front of my computer. Many times it's uncomfortable. Sometimes I want to listen to my collection in my bedroom. The small boombox in my bedroom only takes audio CDs. Samething with the stereo in the living room. Then, there's this carstereo problem. My cars have cassette tapes. (I know I should get a CDs instead. I did that to my other car.) So, occasionally I recorded songs to a blank tape. Well, to do this I have to bring my stereos in the living room to my PC. Basically, it's a hassle. What to do?

I thought what if I get a USB-to-FM transmitter. That way I could transmit my collection to any stereos in the house. Or I can bring my notebook to my car, attach the FM transmitter, and play the songs from the notebook through the FM receiver in my car stereo.

The idea of using USB is that it gets the data in digital form, so that the quality only drops in the FM transmitter. So I searched the Internet and found a number of such devices. (Many of them seem to point to LineX.)

But then, if I get a USB-to-FM transmitter, it only works one way; from computer to stereo. This is too restricted. Another thing is I couldn't bring my portable CD player to my car and use it to broadcast the songs through the FM receiver since the CD player doesn't have a USB port. I think I should get a portable FM transmitter instead. This way, I can still transmit from my PC (through Line-Out) and I can do the other way around. I can play tapes from a stereo and use an FM receiver on my PC to record it (say with audacity, and convert them to MP3s).

What do you think?

So, now I am searching the Internet for a portable FM transmitter. Any recommendation? Notes: remember that I live in Indonesia. Some internet-stores wouldn't accept credit card payment from Indonesia due to the high risk of creditcard fraud.

Comments

Unknown said…
Hallo Pak,
Saya lebih menyarankan USB Flashdisk dengan kemampuan MP3 Player. Ini sudah umum dan harganya mulai turun.

Tetapi jika ingin menyimpan lagu lebih banyak lagi, Bapak dapat menggunakan iPod (20GB ~ 60GB harddisk). Untuk dibawa ke mobil pun bisa. Ada merek mobil luar negeri yg sudah embed iPod di mobilnya. Atau kan banyak juga tape player di mobil yg memiliki audio-in port. Tinggal colokin Flashdisk MP3 player atau iPod.

Kesimpulannya: mungkin belum diperlukan USB-FM transceiver. Atau gunakan saja Wi-Fi + PDA dgn kemampuan wi-fi. PDA dapat pula memainkan MP3 dgn baik.

Salam hangat.
obot said…
saya sendiri nggak punya pengalaman, tapi sedang didiskusikan di /.:
http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/02/01/1545241&tid=141&tid=4
Anonymous said…
Beberapa USB memori sudah dilengkapi dengan MP3 dan WMA Player. Ada juga yang dilengkapi dengan radio (FM) dan digital recorder.
Reno S. Anwari said…
coba ini, http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/64fb/

bukan usb, tapi lumayan deket lah sama yang dimaksud. cc indonesia kalo ga salah masih diterima di situ.
Anonymous said…
Ada dari Belkin, namanya TuneCast FM Transmitter. Ada 2 versi, yang buat iPod dan yg biasa. Bedanya, yang iPod bisa diset frequensinya terserah kita, yang normal cuma kasih 4 frequency : 88.1, 88.3, 88.5, 88.7. Harga yg buat iPod 2x lipet dari yg biasa.

Kalau di Jakarta/Bandung ada yg jual iPod accessories, seharusnya accessories ini dijual. Atau kalau Bapak sempet ke Singapur, di Singapur (belakang Borders, Orchard Road) ada Apple Shop.

Dia transmit FM dari line-out. Jadi kalau bapak punya iPod/Mp3 player, atau apapun yg ada headphone outnya bisa dipake. Jadi bisa untuk komplemen iPod/Mp3 player/Laptop/palm (pokoknya yang bisa nyimpen lagu2) untuk bisa denger lagu-lagunya di radio mobil (atau angkot kalo angkotnya punya radio).

Ukurannya kecil kok, bisa masuk kantong. Cuma suaranya jadi berubah, kualitas CD jadi mirip dengan kualitas radio.
Anonymous said…
Wah kebetulan saya jual MP4 player dan MP3 player yang berkemampuan storage data juga.Jadi mungkin ada yang jadi pilihan anda..silakan dilihat di :
www.indonetwork.co.id/cipkomputer

Cipkomputer
(0231) 3322827 / 085220007361 (call or sms)
Holiq Hudairi said…
Kalau ada waktu mampir saja ke http://www.pemancar.com disana ada banyak pilihan untuk transmitter FM maupun TV

Popular posts from this blog

Himbauan Kepada Hacker & Cracker Indonesia & Malaysia

Kepada Hacker & Cracker Indonesia & Malaysia, Saya mengharapkan anda tidak melakukan penyerangan atau/dan pengrusakan situs-situs Indonesia dan Malaysia. Saya mengerti bahwa akhir-akhir ini beberapa masalah di dunia nyata membuat kita kesal dan marah. Namun kekesalan tersebut sebaiknya tidak dilimpahkan ke dunia maya (cyberspace). Semestinya sebelum melakukan aksi yang berdampak negatif, kita bisa melakukan langkah-langkah positif seperti melakukan dialog (melalui email, mailing list, bulletin board, blog, dan media elektronik lainnya). Kita harus ingat bahwa kita hidup bertetangga dan bersaudara. Yang namanya hidup bertetangga pasti mengalami perbedaan pendapat. Mari kita belajar bertetangga dengan baik. Saya berharap agar kita yang hidup di dunia maya mencontohkan bagaimana kita menyelesaikan permasalahan dengan kepala dingin dan hati yang lapang, sehingga para pemimpin kita di dunia nyata dapat mencontoh penyelesaian damai. Mudah-mudahan mereka dapat lebih arif dan bijaksana

More bad news with Malaysia - Indonesia

I've got more emails and news about bad news between Indonesia and Malaysia. To be exact, there was a news about RELA (not sure what that is) that goes out after Indonesians in Malaysia. There were incidents where they hit Indonesians, rob, and do horrible things. I cannot even write this is my blog. I am so sad and frustrated. What's going on with Malaysia (and Malaysians)? What did we - Indonesian(s) - do to deserve this? I thought there should be less boundary between Indonesia and Malaysia. But ... What's going on there, bro & sis? You know, more Indonesians now feel that they are offended by Malaysians. I can tell you that this bad feeling is increasing. This is a bad publicity towards Malaysia. People are now creating various calling names, such as "Malingsia" (it's a short of "maling" [thief] "siah" [you, Sundanese]), and worse.

Say NO to APJII!

Prolog At the end of 1997, I went back to Indonesia from my studies and work in Canada. The .ID domain management in Indonesia at that time was in a confusing state. Nobody wanted to manage it. Universitas Indonesia (UI) - the original maintainer - was in a fight with APJII (the Association of Indonesian ISP). In the end, IANA gave me a mandate to manage the .ID domain. Since then, I manage the .ID domain with open management. There are problems, but mostly minors. Until recently, when APJII (again) is trying to take over the .ID domain management from my team. Here's a short info to give you a head start. Short summary APJII (the association of ISP in Indonesia) is trying to takeover the .ID domain management in Indonesia. They have tried and will try everything to take over. Long description I've been managing the .ID domain since the end of 1997. At that time, nobody wanted to run the domain management. First of all, a brief description of how we run things. To run the .ID d