Skip to main content

Free Windows XP Theme?

I got tired of my default Microsoft Windows XP setting. So I decided to get a new theme. Here's the story.

The first thing to do is to look at preinstalled themes. None, unless you call the "Windows classic" is a theme. The next step is to search the internet. What would be the proper Google's keyword? I used several keywords and got several Windows XP Theme. Some of the themes look ok. I really want to get a Mac-like theme. But, there's a problem.

Apparently, all the good themes I found are either not-free or require additional software (which is not-free). It's not like I don't want to pay. (Well, it is.) But, having worked with Linux and other FSF/GNU software changed my preference. I want to use free software. So, I came empty handed. I wasted 2 hours for all of this.

Well, I just have to go reboot the machine and use Linux if I get bored with the theme. (I have fluxbox, blackbox, afterstep, (and even plain twm), KDE, and Gnome - and there are different themes for them too.)

As a side note, I am still having a problem installing Mac-like theme under KDE 3.3 on my Debian sid. I was also told that if I want to have a Mac-like environment, I should get a Mac instead. It is true that I am thinking of Mac Mini. But then, I don't know if I can change its "desktop theme" :) I don't know how difficult it's going to me. Last time I used a mac was like 8 years ago.

Can you suggest a good desktop theme?

Comments

Priyadi said…
untuk KDE, coba baghira (kalau belum dicoba): http://baghira.sourceforge.net
Anonymous said…
FlyAKiteOSX is a utility that replaces most of the Windows XP icons and GUI images to closely resemble mac.
It does not need any additional software and it's completely free.
(ver.: 3 should be coming out soon, I think...)

Anyway it creates a restore point so you can revert to your old settings after.

I'm using it for quite some time and I had no problems with it.

Hopefully this was helpfull...
Anonymous said…
I have used mac before, for like six months, and to be honest, i didn't like the OS.

And by "using it" i meant that i didnt even touch linux or windows in that time.

I'm not going to "tell you why" i didn't like it, i just didn't.
I'm not going to buy a Mac again anytime soon, it's expensive and not a much better by support than most modern linux distributions.

Linux is still the best OS around IMO.

(Sorry for offtopic, this comment is meant for those "GO BUY A MAC GOD DAMNIT" peeps.)

Popular posts from this blog

Himbauan Kepada Hacker & Cracker Indonesia & Malaysia

Kepada Hacker & Cracker Indonesia & Malaysia, Saya mengharapkan anda tidak melakukan penyerangan atau/dan pengrusakan situs-situs Indonesia dan Malaysia. Saya mengerti bahwa akhir-akhir ini beberapa masalah di dunia nyata membuat kita kesal dan marah. Namun kekesalan tersebut sebaiknya tidak dilimpahkan ke dunia maya (cyberspace). Semestinya sebelum melakukan aksi yang berdampak negatif, kita bisa melakukan langkah-langkah positif seperti melakukan dialog (melalui email, mailing list, bulletin board, blog, dan media elektronik lainnya). Kita harus ingat bahwa kita hidup bertetangga dan bersaudara. Yang namanya hidup bertetangga pasti mengalami perbedaan pendapat. Mari kita belajar bertetangga dengan baik. Saya berharap agar kita yang hidup di dunia maya mencontohkan bagaimana kita menyelesaikan permasalahan dengan kepala dingin dan hati yang lapang, sehingga para pemimpin kita di dunia nyata dapat mencontoh penyelesaian damai. Mudah-mudahan mereka dapat lebih arif dan bijaksana

More bad news with Malaysia - Indonesia

I've got more emails and news about bad news between Indonesia and Malaysia. To be exact, there was a news about RELA (not sure what that is) that goes out after Indonesians in Malaysia. There were incidents where they hit Indonesians, rob, and do horrible things. I cannot even write this is my blog. I am so sad and frustrated. What's going on with Malaysia (and Malaysians)? What did we - Indonesian(s) - do to deserve this? I thought there should be less boundary between Indonesia and Malaysia. But ... What's going on there, bro & sis? You know, more Indonesians now feel that they are offended by Malaysians. I can tell you that this bad feeling is increasing. This is a bad publicity towards Malaysia. People are now creating various calling names, such as "Malingsia" (it's a short of "maling" [thief] "siah" [you, Sundanese]), and worse.

Say NO to APJII!

Prolog At the end of 1997, I went back to Indonesia from my studies and work in Canada. The .ID domain management in Indonesia at that time was in a confusing state. Nobody wanted to manage it. Universitas Indonesia (UI) - the original maintainer - was in a fight with APJII (the Association of Indonesian ISP). In the end, IANA gave me a mandate to manage the .ID domain. Since then, I manage the .ID domain with open management. There are problems, but mostly minors. Until recently, when APJII (again) is trying to take over the .ID domain management from my team. Here's a short info to give you a head start. Short summary APJII (the association of ISP in Indonesia) is trying to takeover the .ID domain management in Indonesia. They have tried and will try everything to take over. Long description I've been managing the .ID domain since the end of 1997. At that time, nobody wanted to run the domain management. First of all, a brief description of how we run things. To run the .ID d