Skip to main content

What to get something done? Do it yourself

Have you ever noticed that if you want to get something done, you have to do it yourself? I don't know whether this is just me or it is a common thing. (Pointers? Hints?)

There are some small things that could be done. Many times I think that these things could be done by my students, workers, peers, fellows, employees, but nooo... I have to do them myself. For example, I still have to manage and maintain mailinglists myself. (Add subscribers, remove bounced subscribers manually, modify and configure systems and so on.) I still have to tinker with operating systems and applications. Another example, I still have to design and edit some web sites for community services. This things actually could be done by my students.

(BTW, there are other examples that are not IT related. There are other things such as community services, business deals, academic experiments, and so on. You get the idea.)

It is not that I don't want to delegate tasks. I did and still do delegate things. But, they are just not get done. Maybe it's because:
  1. They don't know how to do it. For example, my instruction is not clear enough. The solution is to give a better (and detailed) instructions. But to give detailed instruction or explanation takes more effort that do it yourself. Or, plain simple, they really don't know how to do it. In this case, a simple search and learn how to do it will solve the problem.
  2. They don't know how important that is. This is a lack of vision. Well, not everybody has a clear vision. You cannot blame them for this.
  3. They don't want to do it. This is a problem. They know that it is important and know how to deal with it, but they just don't want to do it. Lazy! I don't know a cure for lazyness. The most frequently used excuse is "I'm busy." Well, I am too, but I still can do it. Why can't you? It's just plain lazyness. (Or maybe they just don't know how to organize time?)
  4. Anything else?
Because of all of the above, in many cases I have to do things myself. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy doing the things that I've been doing, but I just thought that those things could be done by other people. They could and should get the credits for doing them.

So, let's get busy.

Comments

Hedi said…
I hope you don'have a conflict of interest, LOL!
Anonymous said…
Its not just about giving credits to someone else. Its more about helping them!

By delegating task to s.one who don't know how to do it (yet), we are actually helping them to improve. If we keep doing the things by ourselves, they will loose their opportunity to learn & grow.

Meanwhile, we just have to restrain ourselves from being too perfectionist. It's difficult, yes I know.

Popular posts from this blog

Himbauan Kepada Hacker & Cracker Indonesia & Malaysia

Kepada Hacker & Cracker Indonesia & Malaysia, Saya mengharapkan anda tidak melakukan penyerangan atau/dan pengrusakan situs-situs Indonesia dan Malaysia. Saya mengerti bahwa akhir-akhir ini beberapa masalah di dunia nyata membuat kita kesal dan marah. Namun kekesalan tersebut sebaiknya tidak dilimpahkan ke dunia maya (cyberspace). Semestinya sebelum melakukan aksi yang berdampak negatif, kita bisa melakukan langkah-langkah positif seperti melakukan dialog (melalui email, mailing list, bulletin board, blog, dan media elektronik lainnya). Kita harus ingat bahwa kita hidup bertetangga dan bersaudara. Yang namanya hidup bertetangga pasti mengalami perbedaan pendapat. Mari kita belajar bertetangga dengan baik. Saya berharap agar kita yang hidup di dunia maya mencontohkan bagaimana kita menyelesaikan permasalahan dengan kepala dingin dan hati yang lapang, sehingga para pemimpin kita di dunia nyata dapat mencontoh penyelesaian damai. Mudah-mudahan mereka dapat lebih arif dan bijaksana...

Say NO to APJII!

Prolog At the end of 1997, I went back to Indonesia from my studies and work in Canada. The .ID domain management in Indonesia at that time was in a confusing state. Nobody wanted to manage it. Universitas Indonesia (UI) - the original maintainer - was in a fight with APJII (the Association of Indonesian ISP). In the end, IANA gave me a mandate to manage the .ID domain. Since then, I manage the .ID domain with open management. There are problems, but mostly minors. Until recently, when APJII (again) is trying to take over the .ID domain management from my team. Here's a short info to give you a head start. Short summary APJII (the association of ISP in Indonesia) is trying to takeover the .ID domain management in Indonesia. They have tried and will try everything to take over. Long description I've been managing the .ID domain since the end of 1997. At that time, nobody wanted to run the domain management. First of all, a brief description of how we run things. To run the .ID d...
Kualitas lulusan Perguruan Tinggi Indonesia menyedihkan? Saya baru saja selesai melakukan interview untuk sebuah perusahaan. Ada lebih dari 130 orang yang kami interview. Saya sendiri menginterview setengahnya dari itu. (Kami bagi menjadi dua tim.) Yang diinterview kebanyakan adalah yang baru lulus ( fresh graduate ) dari perguruan tinggi (ada yang S1 dan D3) yang terkait dengan komputer (ilmu komputer, teknik elektro, fisika, matematika). Satu hal yang ternyata muncul dan berulang adalah mahasiswa sekarang lebih banyak yang pasif. Artinya mereka hanya pergi kuliah dan belajar dari apa yang diberikan di kelas saja ( which is not much! ). Mereka kurang motivasi untuk mencari hal-hal lain di luar ruang kuliah, seperti misalnya membaca majalah (banyak majalah komputer), eksperimen (mencoba install Linux atau Windows, merakit komputer, memasang jaringan). Alasan yang mereka kemukakan macam-macam. Tidak ada fasilitas lab komputer merupakan salah satu alasan yang dipakai mahasiswa ...